Wednesday 15 December 2010

Rugby's Core Values - Guest Blog: Brent McMillan

Following the publication by the RFU of Rugby's Core Values, Millwall Lions will be running a series of guest "blogs" from players telling us the effect and impact rugby has had on their lives.

We start with former Millwall 1st XV Captain Brent McMillan:


Rugby is a fun, sociable way to stay healthy, both physically and emotionally - it's a great way to vent frustrations.

We beat the hell out of each other for 80 minutes and then party together - the rivalry exists only on the pitch.

Before we play and after we play we're all mates. The rivalry is never personal; it's only about those 80 minutes of playing time. And the rest of the time, we're just a bunch of weirdos that like to get beat up on Saturdays.

When I was a kid, I had a really hard, amazing strict coach who taught us about the values of Rugby and its etiquette. I was instantly in love with the sport and my whole attitude towards life, family, friends, my team mates and opposition on the field.

It changed me. It gave me a drive to become a better player, a drive for success in rugby and also in my personal life.



I've been at Millwall Rugby Club for a long time and I've had the privilage to captain the 1st XV to winning the league and cup competitions - both in the same season!


Through playing the game I love, I earned the respect of not only my team mates, but of other club members and the opposition.....and that is extremely satisfying.

I wish I could say something classy and inspirational, but that just wouldn't be my style. Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory...lasts forever.

Brent McMillan

No comments:

Post a Comment